Open Discussion

Welcome!

Welcome to our new question & answer style forum. We hope this new format will help you to rapidly find answers to common usage and configuration questions. 

Please ask well formed questions and up vote answers that you find helpful. This forum is NOT for  bug submissions or instances where customer support is required.  Non-conforming posts will be rejected to preserve the integrity of this resource for future users.

iRacing season 4, motion is not as good

Jani Polameri

iRacing changed something in season 4 build and now motion is not as good as before.

I have D-Box i2250 Gen2 + D-Box surge, GS-5 and G-belt.

You can very clearly feel that the motion is a lot more muted and it feels that there are damping or lag. This is very clear during acceleration. There is a lot lag in GS-5 back panels.

I have reduced smoothing filtering and changed to extreme profile, but I just can't get the same feeling as before.

Staff, please comment on this. I read in RaceDepartment forum where Simxperience Staff comment that something did change in season 4 build.

Could you give more info about this?

Any Simcommander updates to help this?

Discard
2 Answers
Bernard Villers Jr
Best Answer

We had a complaint in the previous iRacing update of motion being more muted and we saw posts where several other manufacturers were receiving similar complaints.

We ran iRacing Season 4 for days straight at and before the Porsche event. I've not noticed any real differences from the previous iRacing update.

I think it is a fair observation that sometime in the last 2 updates, the motion became more muted. We haven't A/B tested, but it seems like this is just a matter of scale, not a matter of lag. You can test this theory by increasing our overall intensity slider for the G-Seat to maybe 110%. If it doesn't clip and feels better to you, it would suggest that the G-Force scale in the iRacing data has changed a bit. If that's the case, cloud tuning will slowly compensate for this over time. NOTE: It's fairly normal to perceive reduced scale as lag, so this possibility would still fit with your report.

If there was any lag from iRacing, there would be nothing we could do about it other than to measure and report it to iRacing. All of our motion devices already push the boundaries of Windows low latency capability and far surpass competing devices in that area. From the time the Sim Commander has a new piece of physics data from iRacing, its arrived at the GS-5 motor controller in 1-2 milliseconds depending on when it lands in the 1000Hz mixing loop cycle and the 1000Hz device update cycle. It's not possible to cut any lag out of that process.

If you want to comment here with a specific car/track to try that you feel strongly exhibits your concern, I can try to make some measurements using it.

Discard
Jani Polameri
Best Answer

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, you are right, it's not that how quick the panels responds but how fast they are moving. Scale has changed. 

Before, I was using default profile and in bumps smoothing filter 300 and all the others 150. Now I'm using extreme profile and in bumps 200, acceleration and braking 25 and all the others 65. Overall intensity slider at 105.

It's now quite ok, but still not the as good as before. Panels should move faster for my liking (specially back panels during acceleration). I really wish for official explanation from iRacing why this change.

In some track, there are now "dead spots". It feels that all the motion is gone for brief moment. Example: 992 Cup in front straight at Red Bull Ring and between turn 5 and 6 in Hungaroring.

I think this is more noticeable for me, because I also use D-Box and the combination D-Box + GS-5 + G-Belt the change is more apparent.

If you find something or get some info from iRacing, I would gladly hear it.

I have few questions about G-Belt effects, but I create new topic in G-Belt section.

Discard

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!