General Community Q&A

Welcome to our new question & answer style forum. We hope this new format will help you to rapidly find answers to common usage and configuration questions. 

Please ask well formed questions and up vote answers that you find helpful. This forum is NOT for  bug submissions or instances where customer support is required.  Non-conforming posts will be rejected to preserve the integrity of this resource for future users.

Accuforce v2 Linux Driver?

Paul Jones

Hi are there any plans to release a Linux driver? specificially for the Accuforce v2.

but also allow me to explain my experience so far,

first of all it works great in Windows and I love this wheel. I have the Accuforce v2.

And under linux it uses the basic hid_generic driver and the basic forcefeedback support in the kernel.

And tools such as fftest and ffcfstress seem to send force feedback commands fine.

https://github.com/flosse/linuxconsole/tree/master/utils

force feedback even seems to work through joy.cpl in wine with. 

it just doesn't work through Assetto Corsa and steam.

the only thing i see in dmesg is "implement called with too large value" which is coming from hid-core.c in the kernel. almost like assetto corsa is sending incorrect hid reports.

if there is any help or advice that you could point me toward it would be much appreciated. and great kit.

Discard
2 Answers
Michael Bednowicz
Best Answer

I haven't been on this forums in many months.  Today, I came here to ask this question specifically.  Although I'm currently on Window 10 on my desktop PC, I've converted my laptop to 100% Linux (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed). I definitely foresee that when Win 10 support stops, I will discontinue my use of Microsoft OSs and go 100% linux.

I hope that, by then, I'll be able to use my Accuforce v2 in linux, either through Wine or natively.

3 Comments
Discard
Bernard Villers Jr
-

I'm aware of folks attempting to get Linux updated with DIrectInput force feedback support that confirms to the standards. It's somewhat out of our hands here. The AccuForce conforms to the standards to the extent we don't even use a custom driver. We use the standard driver included with Windows. When the Linux drivers properly clone the Microsoft functionality, the AccuForce should behave the same on Linux as it does on Windows. With regard to the Sim Commander software, we are taking steps to go cross platform.

That said, Windows 11 beats the pants off of Windows 10. We've been using it on all our sims for about a year and I've been using it to develop Sim Commander for at least a couple of years now. 0 issues. I couldn't be happier with it.

Michael Bednowicz
-

I understand now. Thanks for clarifying that. It's awesome that you guys are looking at cross-platform compatibility.

My issue with Win 11 doesn't have anything to do with compatibility or its suitability for running games. It's about privacy. It's also about who controls my computer, and what I can do and install on it. I'm sure Win11 runs games fantastically. I want to be in total control of my computer and the data on it though. So I'll pass on Win 11. I don't mean to rant. I know that most people don't care about that. They can and will use Win 11. I won't.

Paul Jones
-

I eventually made a patch to the Linux kernel implementation for hid pid devices.

View the thread here:

https://github.com/berarma/ffbtools/issues/26

and the patch here until and if it gets accepted:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2022/10/2/99

also, if you're passionate about Linux, and sim racing on Linux, I started a project called Monocoque that aims to be a Linux (cross platform) replacement for SimHub.

https://github.com/spacefreak18/monocoque

I have also started small projects that aim to replace CrewChief and telemetry, just haven't put onto github yet. I may edit this post with those in the future.

Bernard Villers Jr
Best Answer

Hi Paul,

I couldn't say for sure if the Linux driver properly reproduces all of the functionality in the Windows driver. It would appear that it does not from your description.

That said, I do know that some commercial/military folks use the AccuForce in a Linux environment but in that case, they write the simulator software, so maybe they only use parts of the driver that Linux emulates properly.

Discard

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!